Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Part Four Of My 285 Part Series: Better Know Your Bright Eyes

Well, iTunes is being a pain tonight so I picked my own song. Since I am considerably under the influence at the moment I have chosen "Spent on Rainy Days" off of the Home Vol. 4 EP with Britt Daniel.

Wooo! (Hey that's what drunk people yell, right? Wooo!!!) [Honestly this is often misspelled by sober people "Whoooo!" but that's obviously just the sound owls make.] What a great fucking song. There's a little cymbal count off then Conor's voice and the rhythm guitar come in simultaneously. By the time the bass line comes in the listener knows what's going on here. And when the electric comes in with the full drumming pattern, it's as close to a party as Bright Eyes has ever come (read: not very.)

Of course one has to assume that this song is about weed and not Conor's usual crutch, alcohol. (Great line: "I think I'll print it in the personals that I'm looking for a match, Someone to light me up, someone to burn the proof of the things that I have done.) The first verse makes it evident that Conor is highly interested in getting stoned but the reason is not quite revealed. If the song ended with the first verse, one would assume that Conor is just bored ("Wish I'd saved up for rainy days..."), but the second verse clarifies his intent a bit.

The second verse makes it obvious that our stoned hero hasn't exactly been the perfect man. There is some real clever wording here, but its all pretty self-explanatory. Conor obviously thinks that the female in question in interested in him only so much as a child is interested in a toy. Temporarily and then set aside. The female obviously doesn't know his true worth. (He's fuckin "mint in the box!!!") In this verse Conor also touches on one of his oft mentioned subjects....traveling. He decides it would be easy to leave the town behind because of his treatment. He then sings that he'll be anything and goes through a few things that illustrate that he would like to comfort his young female companion.

This song kicks total ass. It has some attitude (which is actually a trait not too lacking in Bright Eyes songs if one looks deep enough). I give this song a five out of five. While its hard for me to declare it "Classic Bright Eyes," it is definitely one of Conor's best. I'd say if you're gonna put it on a playlist put it on your "Drinkin'" or "Smokin'" list.

No comments: